Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Smothered Scream of a Wage Slave


I’ve been thinking today about passions, dreams, goals (all of the things our society sugar coats into meaning success, money, and promotions). What really and truly makes me happy? Well, writing of course. Not the manual writing I do for my job or the editing I do for extra money….ACTUAL writing. Soul bending, heart tearing writing. Writing that stops me dead in my tracks as the muse takes over and I stare, dumbfounded, at the page.

If I were to break it down in a more scientific sense I would say that the higher the percentage of concrete is when compared to the percentage of trees is in an area the lower my productivity falls. Basically, cities suck the soul right out of me. It’s hard to write when I look around and no longer hold any hope for humanity and limited hope for the earth as a whole.

“Poetry has been able to function quite directly as human interpretation of the raw, loose universe. It is a mixture, if you will, of journalism and metaphysics, or of science and religion.” –Annie Dillard

It’s in and surrounded by nature that I feel at peace. Not so at peace, mind you, that I would only write sappy love sonnets and the like, but at peace enough that my heart isn’t racing in such fear that putting pen to paper is inconceivable. Sunlight helps, as do stars that aren’t diluted by city lights. Crickets (not of the sound machine variety) calm me like no lullaby ever could.

So, I suppose the problem isn’t knowing what I need to be happy and to write—it’s getting what I need. I won’t get it working my 9-5 job (now complete with overtime) in a building with one window surrounded by the most “city like” parts of my city (pavement, too much traffic, and industry everywhere). Yet how do I go live closer to nature and still make enough money to survive in this society?

I really don’t know the answer to that.

“Yes, there is a Nirvana; it is in leading your sheep to a green pasture, and in putting your child to sleep, and in writing the last line of your poem.” –Kahlil Gibran

My daily schedule is enough to drive anyone insane. I wake up at 5:20am (and it’s dark) get to work by 6am and don’t leave until 5:30pm (when it is also dark). If I want to see daylight at all I need to leave at lunch, where I can get a 30 minute dose of daylight. I get home and all I do is sit, or lay, since I’m so exhausted from staring at a screen all day. Sometimes I try to read, but typically I just fall asleep.

Am I happy with this job? Of course not. How could I be? Yet I sell my life away…

The only semi-agreeable option I know of right now is to go to grad school for my MFA in creative writing. The problem is the school itself is in a city. Yet, at least I won’t be working an office job anymore…

“You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.”
-Desiderata

1 comments:

Nikki (www.bookpunks.com) said...

Nice blog Amelie. I hope that you eventually figure out how to earn enough to survive on your terms in this society without having to sell your soul away. The way I've been approaching it for the last years is to slowly wean myself away from parts of "society" that I am supposed to pay for. It is, of course, not always possible, but there are so many little cracks in the pavement to start prying up. (!!)

I used to work in publishing (a 9-5 number with overtime oh yes), and it made me feel how you're describing feeling here. I quit and over the next four years very slowly changed my life rather drastically, and the result has been that I have been lucky enough to find a way to live (that I really love) that allows me to work very little (for money, arguably I work all day long), spend more time with the people I love, and write all day long if I want to (which is usually what I end up doing). The biggest factor in that change being possible (I like to call it taking the starving out of starving artist) being that I live in a community of squatters and our rent is almost nil.

Long story short (too late, I know, I'm a rambler), I hope you find your way out of the 9-5 soul sucking stuff and to something you find more fulfilling soon. Best of luck.

nikki