Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Eliminating Plastics From Your Life, Installment 2

I’d like to thank everyone for their interest thus far in this project along with all of the recommendations I have received. I have been looking around me with a new set of eyes since I started working on this yesterday and I see that plastic is literally everywhere. I am going to work to provide not only alternatives that you can purchase, but also (when possible) alternatives you can make yourself. I am also going to try to recommend (also when possible) alternatives for purchase that are hand crafted by someone else for those not inclined to craft themselves.

Things covered in this issue: Tea Kettles, Coffeemakers, Rice Cooker, Plastic Wrap

Tea Kettles/Tea Pots
I was looking around my kitchen last night when I realized that even my tea pot has a plastic handle and a plastic cover over the spout. I have, thankfully, been able to locate some tea pots that do not include plastics. I have links for them below.

Ceramic Asian Stove Top Tea Pot

Duo Glass Tea Pot/Infuser

Staub Cast Iron Tea Pot

Tea For One Tea Pot

Coffeemaker

Take a look at your coffeemaker. Most have plastic everywhere. Even if you use a reusable mesh filter, the basket itself is still likely plastic, not to mention the body of the coffee maker, the handle and top of your pot, etc. I have found some alternatives that avoid the use of plastic and still produce a tasty pot of coffee!

Chemex Coffee Makers and Filters (From their website: “The Chemex® coffeemaker is an elegant, one-piece, hourglass shaped vessel made of high quality, heat resistant glass. The traditional model comes to you with a polished wood collar and leather tie. The collar serves as an insulated handle around the middle of the coffeemaker.”) Note: be sure to use unbleached coffee filters with this.

Stove top espresso maker

Porcelain Percolator

Stainless Steel Percolator

Stainless Steel French Press

1 Cup Stainless Coffee Maker & Porcelain Drip Coffee Makers (Scroll Down on the Page to find them)

Rice Cooker

Rice can be a staple, especially in budget living. A rice cooker can come in handy to get that perfect rice (they also work very well for quinoa). Finding a rice cooker that doesn’t have plastic is hard work however. Below is what I’ve found. The most natural option is pretty obvious and that is to make the rice in a pot on your own. If you don’t have the time for that option however (or skill) there are some alternatives where plastic doesn’t touch the rice directly.

Miracle Rice Cooker (It looks like the outer areas of this cooker are plastic, but everything that touches your food is stainless steel)

Clay pot 5 cup rice cooker (It looks like the outer areas of this cooker are plastic, but everything that touches your food is clay)

VitaClay Rice Cooker (It looks like the outer areas of this cooker are plastic, but everything that touches your food is clay)

Plastic Wrap

Many people use plastic wrap to cover foods and to wrap up items for their lunches. Until yesterday I didn’t know of any good alternatives to this. On a forum I am a member of however someone mentioned beeswax coated cloths. After a brief search I found them!

Abeego Wraps. From the website “Abeego came to life one year ago as a result of my fascination with nature and my growing dissatisfaction with plastic. Through months of trial and error I discovered the perfect blend of natural ingredients, closely mimicking the us eful qualities of plastic while eliminating the unsavory attributes. Creating an original, handcrafted, natural alternative to plastic food wrap has been a wonderful and rewarding experience. Enjoy!”

0 comments: