Friday, October 24, 2008

Hate me if you want to, but I'm right.

When it comes to friendship, intelligence is the most important virtue I look for. Granted integrity, honesty, and beer pong skills are important as well. I have found that when I hang with unintelligent people I sink to their level so as not to confuse them with my large vocabulary or incredible wit.

Sure, I have been called intellectually arrogant, a bitch, stuck up, and many other horrible things, but that doesn’t change the fact that I am typically smarter than the insulter. People get offended easily when called ignorant or idiots. It’s really hard to blame myself if I am a little stuck up in my intellectualism when the university I attended is taken into account. While attaining my major in English and minor in Philosophy I would read a campus newspaper that had more typos than Wal-Mart has crooked policies. I would sit through philosophy classes where people thought they were smart because they could argue points that had nothing to do with what we were reading. I tutored people who didn’t know the difference between their and there and were native English speakers. Hell, I tutored people that were born in Wisconsin that looked confused about what “native English speaker” meant.

I had to be picky while I was in college when it came to friends or I would have spiraled down to the pre-high school level most of them seemed to be stuck at. I dated man after man that knew more about Halo stats than he did about how to make a grilled cheese. I would watch people in awe of their ignorance as they wore shirts with a recycle logo on them and toted around Styrofoam cups from the dining halls on campus.

If by “intellectually arrogant” people mean that I am actually more educated, intelligent, and less ignorant than them, then yes, I am. I do not enjoy drinking a bottle of wine with a friend that only talks about celebrity gossip, video games, and television shows.

If you believe that media in America is unbiased, I don’t want to be your friend.


So, maybe I am arrogant, but if you are going to call me that PLEASE at least know how to spell it. Perhaps I will give friends pop quizzes on simple grammar, history, and logic in order to determine if they are capable of continuing the friendship.

0 comments: