Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Divided We Fall

Sometimes tough decisions, that you really don’t want to make, have to be made for what you love.

When I was young I remember thoroughly enjoying wildlife. I watched every nature documentary that was available on basic cable, and literally celebrated when Animal Planet came into existence (I am still to this day disappointed that it isn’t all documentaries). Going along with this animal obsession, I loved a movie about a cheetah. I do not recall what it was called, but I know the general story line of the movie. Basically two children find a baby cheetah whose mother has been killed and raise her until she is full grown. They then, because they love her, have to set her free. Neither the children nor the cheetah want to be separated from one another. Going against every intuition they have, the children throw rocks at the cheetah until she runs away.

The right decisions often go against every intuition.

The same general story can apply to teamwork. Sometimes, people who do not even like each other, who have opposite views on how certain situations should be handled, have to work together. During this campaign season we see a nation divided in what I sometimes think is a frightening way. The division of democrats and republicans has existed for years, but this division was ignored for quite some time after 9/11. People were AMERICAN and that is all that mattered. It was all about doing what was needed to protect the homeland, to ensure security (even if some politicians obviously abused this power).

So why in a time when the far-reaching effects of a horribly run government and a crooked presidential administration have finally caught up with us (and not many politicians deny this) are we unwilling to work together? The 700 Billion Dollar bail out plan has not passed the vote. I do not know how I feel about the plan itself, but I do know that I am just fed up with the politicians of America. SINCE WHEN can we not get off of our high horses and work together when our country is in need? The militia during the Revolutionary War got over their personal differences and worked together to turn the tide of it. I am sure that the many heroes of 9/11 had different viewpoints when it came to politics, yet that did not stop them from saving so many. I guess what it really comes down to is this: our political system does not work anymore. Some thing has to change, and soon. Don’t start screaming “RADICAL!” yet either, hear me out.

If the governmental leaders that America has elected to keep the country stable, and the people safe, refuse to get over their partisan affiliations to do so, something is inherently wrong with the system. I do not claim to know what can fix this problem, I only want to bring it to people’s attention. SOMETHING has to change, and I wouldn’t be surprised if something major does, very soon. It will take more than a new president to reform this crooked nation run by politicians looking for votes and fat wallets before they look for the common good.

Perhaps it will take a little hope, real hope. Our country had that once.

0 comments: